Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Pre-Thanksgiving Story

This is our new steer!



Erica is the pretty princess.



Well, lots has happened! So much has happened that Mom told me to separate before Thanksgiving and during/after Thanksgiving into 2 separate blogs entrys. So I shall. This is, obviously, the one before Thanksgiving, since I'm going to do them in chronological order. I couldn't get some of the pictures to move or allow me to put words underneath them if they allowed me (ever so graciously) to move them, so I decided to ignore them. The pictures (if they were in chronological order) would have Sawyer being puffy and showing off first. Then Erica and I being pretty pretty princesses. We were bored and hyper, so we decided to play the game. We recruited Kayla, but she didn't enjoy it at all. I couldn't get a pic of her, but I took some of Erica and myself. It was fun! I took the picture of the house today, about 5 minutes ago for Maryanna. I love you girl. Here's your picture. My room is the one above the front door on the right. That's my window. And now for the black cow and the weird trailer. That's a long story. This is why Mom is making me separate before and after Thanksgiving. Here goes. We (Dad, Kayla, Erica, and I) borrow a trailer from a friend, Mr. Audalay. We buy all our hay from him, and he's a really good friend of ours. We borrow it from him to take Tavi and the goats over to him to be bred. We fix it up (it's hard to tell, huh?) and then we keep it for a while so we can take Tavi back when she's done getting bred. Well, we go over there Wednesday night at around 5 to pick her up. We did it that soon and that late because Dad had told Mr. Audalet that we wanted a steer from him and whenever he rounded them up to just separate Tavi and the steer and we'd come pick them up. He calls and says that he's got them locked up in his pens and wants us to go get them. We have to weigh Dad's truck first (because if we weigh the truck and trailer before we get the steer and after, we'll know how much he weighs and can pay Mr. Audalet accordingly) so we weigh and pick up the steer, go back, weigh again, and then pick up Tavi. You can guess by this time that it's just about dark. And I left out one little detail that should make this really interesting for you: the trailer has no back lights. (I know...bad! Really bad!) So we're driving home in the dark with two cows in this dumpy, 65 year old trailer. (The tire that is the subject of my story you are about to read is pictured: it's the front one of the two seen.) And our friends, the Hastings are supposed to be there that night, and we needed to finish cleaning the house. Well, Dad decides that without lights on the trailer, we're not going to take the interstate. We'll take Walden. Well, we're not 2 minutes onto Walden when this little car goes in front of us, then slows down goes behind us, then goes back in front of us again, and rolls down his window. I know. Busted. I wish that was what had happened! The guy inside the car says "Hey, you've got a blown out tire that looks pretty bad." We say thanks and pull over into this subdivision. It's 6 at night, and in Texas that means it's been dark for about 30 minutes. We call a friend, Jeremy, who lives in Sour Lake to come help us cause we have a spare tire, but it's completely empty. So it takes him about 40 minutes to get to where we are. While we're waiting, we pull the tire out of it's spot and guess what comes out with it?! A dead hornet's nest, a dead spider, and a huge mound of dirt. It was really gross. It was cold, too. It was pretty much a nightmare. But the worse is yet to come! Haha. There was some fun. But it started out a nightmare. The Hastings were so much fun! I'm so glad they came!!!!! But the most interesting thing happened the next morning. Thanksgiving morning. It was pretty much a nightmare and very unimaginable. You think I'm joking. Read on.

No comments: